Hello Rowayton Paddle Players!
The 2014/2015 Winter season is upon us shortly… get your racquets out and ready to play, unless of course you took part in the Summer Paddle that has taken off in Rowayton and our neighboring clubs these past few years.
We are looking forward to a great Fall/Winter season and have as always a lot of things to report on.
• We have a new Paddle Pro joining the RPTA this year. Connie Jones will be coming to the RPTA as a very seasoned and accomplished paddle professional offering clinics, lessons and coaching to our members. We are very pleased to have Connie and look forward to having her experience in our court(s).
• We are continuing our annual maintenance of the courts, and this year our major project is are putting up all new wires on court #4. This is something that needs to be done periodically on all paddle courts as the wires are required to be tightened for maximum performance and play and you eventually need to replace them when you can’t tighten them anymore. We will also be doing other upgrades and replacements on the courts as needed and recommended by Reilly/Green Mountain, our paddle court maintenance company.
• We have another project underway which is fixing/improving the heaters on the courts. For those that have been frustrated in the past (most of all of us!) with the lack of full court ice melting capabilities from our existing system, we intend to utilize some new and advanced heating design and systems which should fix that problem and ultimately melt all the ice on the courts as intended. This should also lower our high propane gas costs we have seen in the past few years which we believe is due to extended use of the heaters with not proper results. Remember that the heaters are meant to melt ice only and sometimes dry the courts but not to clear snow and certainly not to keep players warm on the below freezing days and nights we play.
• Another very visible and needed project we have underway is the redesign of the Paddle Hut patio area. We received a grant from the 6th Taxing District to help fund the cost for this late last year. We have enlisted an experienced architect who has provided a design we think everyone will very much enjoy and that will last for many years to come. This plan had to be approved by the State Historical Society since the building is listed as a Historical building. Our Paddle Hut continues to get new improvements as well, with chairs, rugs and fresh pictures, etc. to add to the overall experience. The plans for the new patio should be up on our site soon and we are sure this will add to the overall value and enjoyment of our members and guests as well as make viewing the action and relaxing pre- or post play a much nicer experience.
• All of these projects are straining the budget of the RPTA and we are going to ask members to contribute extra funds if possible to help with these projects and allow us to continue to operate in a fiscally sound manner. The Board thanks you in advance for your generosity. More on this will be posted on our site as well.
• We have some new teams that have been set up for members who want to get involved in competitive play and might be starting out as a beginner or intermediate level. Please see our site for more information on the new teams. Rowayton Paddle continues the tradition to field strong teams in both men’s and woman’s leagues playing in the Fairfield County Paddle League, which undoubtedly is on the best paddle leagues in the country.
• Our Junior Clinic is also continuing and is one of the largest of its kind in the area. Almost 100 Rowayton kids participate and this program which is truly the lifeblood of the RPTA and helps keep our sport growing with young players. Bill Pank runs the program and sign up information will also be posted on our site.
• Lastly, our annual Family Fun Day Season Kick off is scheduled for Sunday, October 12th. We encourage all Rowayton residents to please come down and enjoy a burger or dog, meet some new and old members, plays some pick up paddle and get ready for a great season! Invite your neighbors, bring the kids, we have extra paddles.The RPTA is one of the best deals you can find for what you get… and it is a 6th Taxing District resident exclusive.
Hope to see you down at the courts soon.